The First Sorrowful Mystery
THE AGONY IN THE GARDEN
- Jesus comes with his disciples to Gethsemani: "Stay here, while I go yonder and pray."
- Entering the garden with Peter, James, and John, Jesus prays, "My soul is sorrowful unto death."
- Jesus sees the sins of all mankind, whose guilt He has taken upon Himself.
- He sees the wrath of the Father which His sufferings must appease.
- So great is his anguish that His sweat becomes as drops of blood falling to the ground.
- An angel appears to Him from heaven to strengthen Him.
- "Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet, not My will but Yours be done."
- Finding the disciples asleep: "Could you not watch one hour with me?"
- Jesus is betrayed by Judas, cruelly bound and led away.
- Father, by the merits of the agony of Jesus in the Garden, have mercy on us and on the whole world.
Spiritual Fruit: God's Will be done
The Second Sorrowful Mystery
THE SCOURGING AT THE PILLAR
- Jesus is taken before the High Priest where He is falsely accused, buffeted and insulted.
- The Jewish leaders take Jesus before Pilate, for only he can impose the death penalty.
- The robber, Barabbas, is preferred to Jesus.
- Pilate can "find no cause in Him", yet to appease the Jews, he orders Jesus to be scourged.
- The scourge is made of leather thongs to which are attached small sharp bones.
- Jesus is bound to a pillar and cruelly scourged until His whole body is covered with deep wounds.
- The Lamb of God offers His suffering for the sins of mankind.
- Jesus suffers so much in His sacred flesh to satisfy, especially, for sins of the flesh.
- The prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled: "He was wounded for our iniquities, He was bruised for our sins."
- Father, by the merits of Jesus in this painful scourging, have mercy on us and on the whole world.
Spiritual Fruit: Mortification of the senses
The Third Sorrowful Mystery
THE CROWNING WITH THORNS
- Pilate asks, "Are You a king?" Jesus answers: "I am a King, but My kingdom is not of this world."
- In the praetorium, the soldiers place an old purple robe on Jesus in mockery of His claim to be a king.
- They fashion a crown out of thorns, and forcefully press it down upon His head.
- In His bound hands they place a reed, as a sceptre, in mockery of His kingship.
- Kneeling before Him in derision, they spit on Him, and cry out: "Hail, King of the Jews!"
- Taking the reed from His hand they strike Him on the head, driving the thorns more deeply into His scalp.
- Pilate brings Jesus before the people, hoping His pitiful sight will soften them: "Behold the man!"
- Their response: "Crucify Him! Crucify Him!"
- Our Blessed Lord submitted to this terrible humiliation to make reparation for our pride.
- Father, by the merits of this painful humiliation, have mercy on us and on the whole world.
Spiritual Fruit: Reign of Christ in our heart
The Fourth Sorrowful Mystery
THE CARRYING OF THE CROSS
- One condemned to death by crucifixion is forced to carry the cross to the place of execution.
- The suffering of Jesus is intense as the cross is laid on His bruised and wounded back and shoulders.
- Weak and exhausted from loss of blood, lack of food and rest, Jesus falls three times under the cross.
- Jesus meets His afflicted Mother causing untold anguish in the Hearts of Son and Mother.
- The countenance of Jesus is disfigured with blood and sweat, with dust and spittle.
- Veronica wipes His face, leaving on her towel the image of His countenance.
- Fearing that Jesus might die on the way, the soldiers force Simon of Cyrene to carry the cross behind Jesus.
- Jesus speaks to weeping women: "Weep not for Me, but for yourselves and your children."
- "If anyone is to be My disciple, let him take up his cross and follow Me."
- Father, by the merits of this painful journey to Calvary, have mercy on us and on the whole world.
Spiritual Fruit: Patient bearing of trials
The Fifth Sorrowful Mystery
- The hands and feet of Jesus are nailed to the cross in the presence of His afflicted Mother.
- "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."
- "This day you will be with Me in paradise."
- "Woman, behold your son. Son, behold your Mother."
- "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?"
- "I thirst."
- "It is finished."
- "Father, into Your hands I commend My spirit."
- The side of Jesus is pierced with a lance. His body is taken down and placed in the arms of His Mother.
- Father, by the merits of the crucifixion and death of Jesus, have mercy on us and on the whole world.
Spiritual Fruit: Pardoning of Injuries