The Joyful Mysteries
With illustrations from the booklet Praying the Rosary Without Distractions. Ave Maria
The First Joyful Mystery
- The time for the Incarnation is at hand.
- Of all women God prepared Mary from her conception to be the Mother
of the Incarnate Word.
- The Angel Gabriel announces: "Hail, full of grace! The Lord is with
- Mary wonders at this salutation.
- The Angel assures her: "Fear not ... you shall conceive in your womb,
and give birth to a Son."
- Mary is troubled for she has made a vow of virginity.
- The Angel answers that she will conceive by the power of the Holy
Spirit, and her Son will be called the Son of God.
- The Incarnation awaits Mary's consent.
- Mary answers: "Behold the handmaid of the Lord. Be it done unto me
according to your word."
- The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.
Spiritual Fruit: Humility
The Second Joyful Mystery
- Mary's cousin Elizabeth conceived a son in her old age... for nothing is impossible with God.
- Charity prompts Mary to hasten to visit Elizabeth in the hour of her need.
- The journey to Elizabeth's home is about eighty miles requiring four or five days.
- Though long and arduous, the journey is joyous, for Mary bears with her the Incarnate Word.
- At Mary's salutation, John the Baptist is sanctified in his mother's womb.
- Elizabeth exclaims: "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb."
- "How have I deserved that the mother of my Lord should come to me?"
- "Blessed is she who believed that the Lord's words to her would be fulfilled."
- Mary replies: "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, and my spirit finds joy in God my Savior."
- Mary serves her cousin in all humility for three months until the birth of John the Baptist.
Spiritual Fruit: Love of Neighbor
The Third Joyful Mystery
- Joseph and Mary go to Bethlehem to comply with the decree of Caesar Augustus.
- The hour for Mary to give birth is near, but there is no room in the inn.
- In the stillness of the night, the Savior is born in a cave, Mary remaining a Virgin.
- She wraps Him in swaddling clothes and lays Him in a manger.
- In unspeakable joy Mary gathers to her bosom the Flower of her virginity.
- Jesus enters the world in poverty to teach the lesson of detachment from earthly things.
- The angel announces to the shepherds: "Today there is born to you in the town of David a Savior, Who is Christ the Lord."
- The angelic chorus sing: "Glory to God in the highest, and peace to His people on earth."
- The shepherds come to the stable to pay homage to the Infant Jesus.
- The Magi come to adore the Holy Child and offer Him gifts.
Spiritual Fruit: Poverty of Spirit
The Fourth Joyful Mystery
- Observing the law of Moses they take Jesus to the temple to present Him to the Lord.
- According to the Law the firstborn male child of every family should be consecrated to the Lord.
- Mary offers her Son to the Father, then ransoms Him back at the price paid by the poor.
- Jesus is not subject to the law of Moses, yet to teach obedience, submits to it.
- Mary is not subject to the law of purification, yet in humility she submits to it.
- God had revealed to Simeon that he would not see death until he had seen the Messiah.
- Recognizing the Child, he prays: "Now you can dismiss your servant in peace. You have fulfilled your word."
- "This Child is destined to be the downfall and rise of many in Israel, a sign that will be opposed."
- And to Mary Simeon reveals: "And your own soul a sword shall pierce."
- After they fulfill all the Law requires they return to Nazareth.
Spiritual Fruit: Purity of mind and body
The Fifth Joyful Mystery
THE FINDING OF JESUS IN THE TEMPLE
- When Jesus is twelve years old, He goes with His parents to Jerusalem for the feast of the Passover.
- After the feast of the Passover, Joseph and Mary unknowingly set out for Nazareth without Jesus.
- At the end of the first day's journey they discover Jesus is missing.
- His parents return immediately looking for Him.
- This loss causes grief and anxiety beyond our understanding to the hearts of Mary and Joseph.
- On the third day they find Jesus in the Temple among the Doctors who were astonished at His wisdom.
- Mary: "Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been searching for You in sorrow."
- Jesus: "Why did you search for Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father's business?"
- Jesus goes down with them to Nazareth, and is subject to them.
- Mary keeps all these things in her heart.
Spiritual Fruit: Obedience
Home of the Rosary Confraternity
Promoting the Rosary for over 500 years!
Connect with us:
Mailing Address: PO Box 3617, Portland, OR 97208 USA
Physical Address: 1331 NE 3rd Ave, Portland, OR 97232 USA
Web Site: http://www.rosary-center.org
Phone: +1 (503) 236-8393
Fax: +1 (503) 922-3550
All original material Copyright © 2018, Dominican Fathers / The Rosary Center, Portland, Oregon.